President of Atlético de Madrid trusts that Julián Álvarez “will win over the fans in two games”

MADRID.- The president of Atlético de Madrid, Enrique Cerezoinsisted this Wednesday that the Argentine striker Julian Alvarez He will stay at the red and white club and “will win over the fans in two games.”

Cerezo insisted on the club’s line of not selling the player, as the CEO of Atlético had also done, Miguel Ángel Gil Marínwho stated in mid-July, in full World Cup 2026who would not accept “neither 100, nor 150 nor 200 million” for Álvarez, wanted for months by the Barcelona as a replacement for Polish Robert Lewandowski.

“Julián is an Atlético de Madrid player, he has a contract with Atlético de Madrid, he is training with Atlético de Madrid and is preparing to have a magnificent season,” Cerezo assured the media.

“I already said in principle that it was not for sale,” added the president of Atlético, whose team debuts in LaLiga this Wednesday against the newly promoted Malaga.

Cerezo did not seem concerned about how the red and white fans might receive the Argentine striker, after he expressed his desire to leave the club, although without specifying his destination.

“Julián is an excellent person and I am sure, very sure, that he will win over the fans in two games,” said the president of Atlético, after the traditional board lunch before the match against Málaga.

On Tuesday, the red and white coach, Diego Pablo Simeoneinsisted on “trying to put together a team around him (Julián Álvarez)”, although he announced that he would not be against Málaga due to lack of filming to compete.

Monaco releases Pogba

He Monaco announced this Wednesday in a statement his contractual separation from the French midfielder Paul Pogbaafter a series of injuries that slowed his return to the high level after his suspension for doping.

Pogba, 33 years old and world champion with France in 2018, he arrived free to the Monegasque club a year ago, during the 2025 summer market. The midfielder had been free since December 2024, after the termination of his contract with the Juventus Turin.

Suspended for 18 months until March 2025 for doping, Pogba never managed to regain the physical level necessary for top competition in Monaco.

With the Monegasque club he only played six matches Ligue 1being a starter on only one occasion. In total it totaled 115 minutes.

“Despite sharing the idea that the objectives set at the beginning were partially achieved, Monaco and Paul Pogba have decided, before the first official match of this new season, to end the contract that bound them until June 2027,” the club explained in its statement.