When the screen turns off: the departures that have shaken Univision and Telemundo

In some cases, both chains have spoken out to explain that the decisions are due to the transformation of the market, changes in advertising revenue, the need to reduce costs and even the evolution towards digital consumption.

But Chiky Bombom’s recent statements in a TikTok live have revealed the common pattern of these outings, drawing the attention of public opinion.

“Telemundo at this moment is preparing to fire 500 people. I will probably leave,” were the words of the presenter on the famous social network.

The beginning

It was in January 2024 when the alarms went off. TelevisaUnivision made a round of cuts that affected areas of news, sports, production and digital content.

Among the notable names was Sandra Peebles, host of Univision 23 Miami, where she had worked since 1999; and also Félix Fernández, one of the faces of Sports Republica program that was canceled after almost 25 years on the air.

However, in September Jorge Ramos also announced his departure from the network after four decades. Then, the journalist reported that it was an agreement not to renew his contract.

“Univisión has literally been my second home,” said journalist Jorge Ramos at the close of the six o’clock newscast on September 9, 2024.

“This is not goodbye. I will continue to present Univision News until December, and then I will share my professional plans. “I am deeply grateful for these four decades at Univision and very proud to be part of a team that has established leadership over the years.”

Ramos presented his last Univision Newscast on December 13, 2024, after approximately 38 years on the network’s screen.

A few days later, Univision also dispensed with Maity Interiano, one of its most recognized presenters and who was the face of the nightly edition of Noticiero Univision. His departure was announced on December 3, 2024.

The journalist publicly announced her departure and stated that she had started her career at the network 17 years ago as an intern until she became a presenter.

Félix Fernández, Chef Yisus and Roger Borges also said goodbye in 2014; while Ambrosio Hernández said goodbye to the network in 2026.

Telemundo in transformation

On Telemundo, cuts have also been common since 2023.

Press reports reported that the first major cut affected between 60 and 70 employees in different areas, including executives and on-air talent.

One of the names that stood out then was that of Alina Falcón, an executive with a long career in Hispanic television.

However, the chain did not have another major shakeup until 2025.

In October of that year it was reported that Myrka Dellanos of The Hot Table and Jessica Maldonado Red Hot They would say goodbye. Dellanos had been at the helm of the program since its launch in 2022, while Maldonado had been Telemundo’s correspondent in Los Angeles for years.

Although it turned out that the journalist was called to inform her that she would no longer continue on the program, she expressed herself on social networks thanking her followers for their support and asserting that behind every difficult situation there is a purpose.

“I hope you know that no matter what is happening in your life, do not be discouraged because God promises that everything works for good for those who love the Lord. I definitely learn this every time I go through a difficult moment, it becomes more and more evident to me that God does not abandon me, that God does not leave me, that God loves me and that his plans are perfect,” he said in an audio.

However, during a recent participation in a Claro y Directo América program, Cuban-born journalist Myrka Dellanos offered harsh statements about the current state of freedom of expression in the Spanish-language media in the United States.

Dellanos affirmed that the large Hispanic news platforms, specifically Telemundo and Univisión, have abandoned the information balance to favor left-wing political positions, excluding those who do not share this line of thought.

“Twenty or 25 years ago, we were in a newsroom, but we did not have this type of internal fights in the networks. But, today you cannot do journalism, that is why you cannot work in these networks if you are not leftist, socialist, radical. If you do not have that position, they will not accept you to work there.”

Added to this is also the departure of Giselle Blondet, who after being absent from La Mesa Caliente, with whom she shared Dellanos, due to health problems, was informed of her dismissal at the beginning of the year.

Through social networks, the presenter shared a series of videos in which she vented with journalist Camilo Montoya. During the conversation, Blondet not only addressed the health issues he has faced since 2025, he also shared how the television network’s layoff came at a time of complete vulnerability.

“I was not prepared to receive (that news), that is the reality,” Blondet acknowledged. “Those things can happen and they happen to many people too, but being in such a vulnerable moment where you feel so bad and receiving the news that you are losing your job is complicated because you are not strong enough for that.”

Giselle explained that news like that is never well received. However, he asserted that she was vulnerable and was much harsher.

“I understand perfectly why companies have their way of making their decisions and we know that and really at another time it would have been something that is never something pleasant obviously, but I would have seen it differently; but at the time it happened I felt horrible,” he expressed.

As if that were not enough, in the midst of his condition, the stress caused by the dismissal worsened the arthritis he suffers from.

Jessica Maldonado, Magali Ayala, Martín Berlanga and Guillermo Ochoa are some of the faces that have also left Telemundo in recent years.